Next Up: A Jacket

I’ve decided to make New Look 6035 – View A, a blazer style jacket, using the floral cotton sateen I talked about a few weeks ago. Originally, I had planned to make a dress with this fabric, but I decided to kick it up a little bit, and make something a little less expected from this fabric.

New Look 6035 Front

I’m making View A, but I’ve decided to shorten the sleeves to 3/4 length.

New Look 6035 Back

I’ve made it as far as tissue fitting the jacket –

New Look 6035 Tissue Fitting

I opted to make a 10 in the shoulders, 12 in the bust, waist and hips, because I want some extra room so I can have the option of wearing a blouse under it, instead of just a tank top.

I also shortened the waist by 1″, which wasn’t ideal – I think I should have shortened it by 2 inches – but if I shortened it any more than 1″ I would have had to add length back to the bottom of the jacket, and honestly, I didn’t want to bother, since there’s so much shaping at the bottom. I think it’ll be fine though.

I’ve now finished cutting the pieces out –

New Look 6035 Sneak Peek

I think this is going to be a great little jacket that will be perfect for spring and summer.  I already have grand plans to make coordinating capris and skirts for this one.

Wishing everyone a Happy Easter!!

My Butterick B5752 Dress Is Finished!!

Let me first start out by saying that I’ve become a HUGE fan of Butterick patterns. They’re so well thought out and come together really well, and B5752 is no exception.

Butterick B5752

As I mentioned in my previous post, I made fit alterations to every single pattern piece, but it was well worth it in the end.

Butterick B5752

I used a lighter weight cotton sateen for the dress, and a black stretch cotton poplin for the lining. The bodice is lined, and so are the rouched side panels.

Butterick B5752

I really like the crossover front, but I think I’m going to put a few stitches between the front pieces, so it’s a little more modest. You may also notice in this picture that I decided to top stitch the neckline and armholes instead of under-stitching them. It was one of those ‘under-stitch as far as you can go’ instructions, and I’ve had less than stellar results in the past with that, and I think the top stitching looks just fine.

Butterick B5752

I had to improvise for the invisible zipper, and use navy blue, since that was the only one I had that was made with twill tape for zipper tape instead of that mesh garbage. You really can’t tell though, the only hint is the little zipper pull at the top.

Butterick B5752

I also added a little more fun to the dress by using more of my vintage hem tape I picked up a while ago from a second hand shop. It’s red, with slight tendencies towards coral. I was a little worried it might be visible through the dress, but it isn’t, so WIN!

Butterick B5752

I’ve quickly become a fan of hem tape. It’s so easy to put on and I love the decadence of a little lace.

Butterick B5752

I feel great in this dress! It’s comfortable, fits great, and I think the animal print is pretty hot! I can’t wait to get some warmer weather so I can actually wear it!

Here’s the link to my review of this pattern on Pattern Review.

The Finished Quilt!

The old wonky revived quilt is all done! I really didn’t think I’d ever get it finished, and up until last weekend, I was threatening to throw it in the garbage.

Finished Quilt

It’s all done now though, so there’s no turning back!  It’s not perfect, as you know, but it’s a perfectly viable quilt.

Finished Quilt

It only took me a couple of hours for the quilting and the binding was super quick.

Finished Quilt

For the bias binding, I opted to sew the binding onto the back first, and then instead of slip stitching the binding to the front, I zigzag stitched it using my sewing machine. I’d definitely use this technique again, but I’d be more careful to pin the binding before zigzagging, so the zigzags look a little more accurate on the back.

Finished Quilt

Redd has already claimed the quilt as his own, so I guess I won’t be sticking it in the quilt closet quite yet.

New Pin Holder

I almost forgot to mention – when I was at Fabricland last weekend, picking up the backing/binding fabric for the quilt, I also picked up a magnetic pin holder. I’ve been intending to make myself a pin cushion for, hmmm…let’s see….going on 5 years now…so I’ve accepted that that’s not likely to happen in the near future, and this little magnet pin holder works like a hot damn!