Fabric: Reassigned

Before Christmas, I had grand plans to sew a couple of projects, namely for my parents, this didn’t end up happening though…between other Christmas stuff, job hunting and our move, time just slipped away from me.

Ripping Down A Failed Project

They took 2 hangers to hang up!

You see, I found some great fabric that had wrenches all over it, and in some circles, my dad’s nickname is ‘the wrench’ – for his handy capabilities (not for his mob duties. Haha! Doesn’t that sound like a great mobster nickname? Johnny the Wrench. Anyway…)

Ripping Down A Failed Project

So, my brilliant idea was to make him a pair of PJ’s out of this great wrench fabric for Christmas. I think I decided to cut a medium of the pattern (I can’t remember which one at this point – since it’s long been garbaged), and I ended up with the circus tent of pajamas. They were gigantic!

Soon To Be HSTs

This is the most accurate representation color-wise

I quickly scrapped the pyjama idea and moved on to something else, but I still had these gigiantic PJ’s in my fabric stash, so a few nights ago, I cut the seams off and I’m going to do a little half-square-triangle (HST) quilt using the wrench fabric and some other stash leftovers I have (some wonderfully cheerful Amy Butler fabric).

I also found that I had some little 2.5″ white Kona Cotton squares leftover from my ‘white and yellow’ quilt, but whomever cut them (wink, wink) didn’t manage to cut actual squares (I remember when I was cutting the fabric for this quilt, I had my small olfa mat balanced on my ironing board. That quilt was a lesson in how important accurate cutting is!), so I cut them down to 2.25″ squares.

This project is going to be one where the design progresses as the sewing happens. I certainly don’t have it all planned out at this point, but I think it’s going to be fun arranging all those HSTs.

Advertisements