I finished sewing up the last set of 9 wonky 9-patch blocks yesterday afternoon, and I stumbled upon an idea I wish I had pursued at the start of making these blocks.
Here’s the last stack before being trimmed down to size –
Instead of cutting my first strip, sewing that strip, pressing, restacking, and then cutting the 2nd strip (off the other side of the middle), I made both of the “thirds cuts” at the same time, restacked the blocks and did all the sewing for that direction, before pressing, rotating and making the next 2 cuts at the same time.
This was a huge time saver and I found it made much more uniform blocks, since they weren’t repeatedly being slashed over higher and higher seams. This is how I’d do it in the future for sure.
I met my hubby for a coffee yesterday at lunch and there is a Michael’s in the same complex, so I headed over there after our lunch date to pick up some pearle cotton, so I can try my hand at a little hand quilting once the halloween quilt is done being pieced and is sandwiched.
As you can see by the amount I bought, I don’t plan on doing a ton of hand quilting. A little taste should suffice.
The last thing I took care of yesterday was the dreaded sewing chair! I dragged my current desk chair up the stairs to see if it would work, and the base that you sit on was too long for sewing, so we headed off to XS Cargo last night to see if they had anything that would work (I really love my current desk chair, and that was where I found it).
I found a chair that is very similar to my current desk chair, except it fits me a lot better – the sitting area isn’t so long, the back isn’t as high, and all in all, it’s a smaller chair. At $25, it was affordable too! And I think it looks cute in the sewing room.